Saturday, January 27, 2018

The New Workbench Top




In 2004 as a student of the Furniture Institute of Mass I needed a bench and only had 5 days to draw and make the bench. The size of the bench at the time was 32 inches wide and 5 feet long. The bench served me perfectly, but I wanted something longer and a tail vise. 

Long ago I thought I would always make my bench, but I quickly realized there are makers out there who can make them quicker and priced well. So I ended up buying a new bench top that will last me the rest of my life. 

I might still make the bench wider to fulfill my dream of making it in the European style bench on one edge and a Roubo style bench on the other edge. Essentially I will be making myself a smaller version of the Patrick Edwards bench. But for now this will serve me well. 

The bench top is made from Rock Maple and in dimension is 4 inches thick, 7 feet long, and 32 inches wide. The tail vise hardware comes from Lie-Nielsen Tool Works. Lets just say this bench top weighs a ton and I love it. 

Many thanks to my two friends Jasper and Brian for helping move the top and for helping me install the tail vise. 








4 comments:

  1. Somebody commented on your instagram about Ulmia spring clip not being available anymore.
    They still appear in their offering:
    https://www.ulmia.de/English/Ulmia-Schreinerkluepfel_1.htm
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benoit,

      Thank you for commenting and sharing.

      Cheers,

      FR

      Delete
  2. What was your source for the bench top? - Andrew

    ReplyDelete